Sunday, April 25, 2010

Breast Cancer Survivor

As I mentioned yesterday, one of the reasons I have been away from blogging is due to my health.  In February I discovered a lump in my left breast.  After a visit to the doctor, a mammogram, ultrasounds, biopsies, and breast MRI, it was determined that I had breast cancer in the left breast.  The wisest course of action appeared to be a mastectomy of the left breast.  I had this surgery done on March 30 with reconstruction at the same time.  Two lymph nodes were removed at that time also.

After all pathology reports were done, I am so relieved to know that the cancer did not get to the lymph nodes.  We caught this very early.  There were several cancerous cells in the left breast both DCI and invasive.  Many tests have been done post surgery, and I have been given the good news that chemotherapy and radiation therapy are not needed.  I will take hormonal therapy for five years.  I have a prescription for Arimidex which I will start taking in several weeks.

I am thanking God for this positive outcome.  I am joining the large band of survivors of this disease.  My chance for recurrence is small.

To all women - please take the time to do a breast self-exam each month.  Please do not ignore anything that feels unusual.  It can save your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me a comment or share something new. I would love to hear from you.

LeAllyson

See Other Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...